Fruit Farm Manager Job for the 2018 Season in Southwest Vermont
A large New England Apple Grower is seeking an energetic, reliable Farm Manager to oversee the planning, organizing, managing and maintenance of a 200+ acre apple orchard, located in southwest VT. The company is Fourth Generation Family Owned and Operated, with over 50 years in business.
Fruit Farm Manager Job Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- The ability to drive tractors, operate machinery, spray field, pick apples, etc., as needed
- The ability to manage large crews, as well as coordinate harvesting/ pruning/ and spraying dependent on the season and need.
- Compliance with DOL/H2A regulations
- The ability to keep meticulous records regarding the details of sprays, harvest, and any other pertinent activity occurring on the orchard.
- Ensuring all equipment is working properly. Ordering parts when needed
- Work together with the main office regarding the purchase and negotiation of farm supplies, chemicals, fertilizer etc
- Maintaining a knowledge of pests and diseases and an understanding of their cycles, how they spread and how to treat them.
- Maintaining a knowledge of crop stages and maturity, as well as the diseases that affect them.
- Knowledge of Planting and irrigation methods.
- Knowledge of horticultural root stocks, as well as the proper pruning methods and growing patterns related to the stocks.
- Applying/ mixing chemicals with an active pesticide license.
- Ensuring that farm activities comply with government regulations
- Understanding the implications of the weather and making contingency plans
- Applying health and safety standards across the farm estate
- Protecting the environment and maintaining biodiversity
The ideal candidate will be a well-rounded, ambitious individual with the ability to work on their own, as well as, as be a team player. They will need to be a multi tasker with a detail-oriented mind.
Must have 3 years of Farm Experience. Compensation is based on experience plus benefits.
Please apply for the Fruit Farm Manager Job by email Info@HudsonRiverFruit.com
To learn more about farming jobs and internships or to post an opportunity on beginningfarmers.org, go to: http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/