Responsibilities of the Education Coordinator will include:
* Coordinating with Saul teachers to schedule both weekly and one time visits for classes to the farm during the spring and fall.
* Leading educational activities with the students and teachers at the farm, including hands-on farm activities such as bed preparation, planting, weeding, and harvesting; and inquiry based learning like bug hunts, soil tests, and plant tastings.
* Ensuring that activities tie into the teacher’s existing curriculum, are educational, hands-on, and provide a realistic experience of urban agriculture.
* Working with the incoming first-year students during the summer session to introduce them to small-scale vegetable farming.
* Working with the summer youth high school interns to develop an integrated experience that encompasses both food-systems education and work experience.
* Working with the after school Farm Club to mentor students who are passionate about food production, and providing them with greater ownership over the farm and additional opportunities to work with the CSA.
* Coordinating outside volunteers who want to come to the farm.
* Have at least one full season’s experience in vegetable farming
* Have experience working with and educating high school students in a diverse urban area.
* Be able to lift at least 40 pounds.
* Have a commitment to fostering youth empowerment and youth-led programming.
* Be committed to the mission and goals of Weavers Way Co-op and Weavers Way Community Programs.
Candidates should also possess independence, a strong work ethic, flexibility, strong leadership and group management skills, a sense of humor, enthusiasm, and good communication skills.
Coordinator will need to obtain PA Child Abuse and PA Criminal History clearances immediately upon hiring.
This position will start in April 2010, and end in November 2011. The coordinator will work approximately 16-20 hours a week at $12 per hour, mainly between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm, Monday to Friday. The position has the potential to grow as education coordinator develops new programming and additional funding becomes available.
Deadline for applications: January 14th, 2011. Please indicate availability for interviews the week of January 23rd , 2011.
Submit cover letter and resume, supporting materials and inquiries to:
559 Carpenter Lane, Philadelphia, PA 19119
Philadelphians and graduates of Saul High School are encouraged to apply.