9 month Organic Dairy Internship on Hart-to-Hart Farm and Education Center in Albion Maine – 2018
ORGANIC DAIRY INTERNSHIP GENERAL SUMMARY:
The position assists with all cattle related functions of Hart-to-Hart Farm including organic feed and nutrition, breeding and calving, herd health, organic vet care, field work and crop selection. Assist with Hart-to-Hart Farm education programs like 4-H and other initiatives.
We are a family owned and operated organic dairy farm located in the gently rolling hills of Albion, Maine. Our Farm offers a variety of educational programs and quality produces. We milk between 50-60 Holsteins and Jerseys. You can find our milk under the Organic Valley Family Farm label, which we are proud owner-members or in Stonyfield Farm products. Our mission is to reconnect with our soil so as to nurture the plants, animals and the people who feed from the land; to sell nourishing products and to promote quality education to strengthen individuals understanding about sustainable, local agriculture. We welcome you to come and learn more about our farm, products and educational programs.
ESSENTIAL ORGANIC DAIRY INTERNSHIP FUNCTIONS:
- Assist with all healthcare/medical needs of the animals including giving vaccinations, watching for illnesses, and basic care.
- Help maintain all cattle records and inventories for the farm.
- Assist with breeding operation
- Assistant with the youth agricultural programs, such 4-H dairy club..
- Will interact with the public on occasion
- Work in any/all aspects of farm operations –building maintenance, grounds care, pen cleaning, haying, and equipment operation.
ORGANIC DAIRY INTERNSHIP EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
A bachelor’s degree in agricultural science, agricultural studies or agricultural economics; OR an associate’s degree in one of these areas of study will be helpful but real life practical experience most necessary.
- Excellent project management, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Good interpersonal oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and part of a team.
- Ability to promote and maintain positive public relations and to interact with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to communicate clear expectations
- Ability to coordinate projects with peers in the organization collaboratively
- Computer skills –basic skills preferred, but not required
- Valid driver license
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS FOR ORGANIC DAIRY INTERNSHIP:
Work both indoors and outdoors in year around conditions. Work will require significant physical strength and endurance. Some significant care will need to be taken while working around cattle and equipment. Some office time to maintain records. Some time assisting with educational programs.
Temporary, full-time position: includes vacation time, and shared housing.
Stipend: $1240 / month
To apply for the 9 Month Organic Dairy Internship, send resume to Doug Hartkopf, Hart-to-Hart Farm, 16 Duck Pond LN, Albion, ME 04910 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about farming jobs and internships or to post an opportunity on beginningfarmers.org, go to: http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/