· Develop and coordinate a strategic grassroots campaign aimed at uniting Michigan voices around federal agriculture policy issues, including: increasing healthy food access; building local and regional food systems; supporting beginning and minority farmers; promoting on-farm conservation; boosting rural economies; and more.
· Coordinate advocacy efforts of NSAC member groups in Michigan and build relationships with other Michigan farm and food allies.
· Organize opportunities for advocates to engage through in-district meetings, hearings, farm field days, DC fly-ins, and other events.
· Oversee outreach, list building, and media efforts.
· An understanding and passion for sustainable agriculture, including family farm livelihood and opportunity, farm conservation and environmental protection, rural development, and marketing and food systems issues
· At least two years of experience in grassroots organizing, outreach, and advocacy
· Knowledge of and experience working within the Michigan food system preferred
· A good understanding of the federal legislative process
· Experience with print, radio, online, and social media
· Strong writing, editing, public speaking, and verbal communications skills
· Consistency in meeting deadlines
· Ability to both work independently and be a team player
· Bachelor’s degree preferred
Work Environment and Compensation
This position is based in Michigan and requires frequent state-wide travel. The Michigan Voices Grassroots Organizer will work cooperatively with and report to NSAC’s DC staff. Salary is on a non-profit scale and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Please send cover letter, resume, writing sample, salary history, and the names of three references to Shavaun Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org.