Farm Production Crew Leader Job at Oxbow Farm and Conservation Center in Washington State
Our mission is to inspire people to eat healthy, sustainably grown food and to steward our natural resources for future generations.
WHAT WE DO
The Center is located on 230 acres of forest and grassland bordered by Western Washington’s Snoqualmie River. We use this mixed landscape to:
Produce food. We cultivate 30 acres of mixed vegetable crops using agro-ecological principles and engage in research to inform conservation farming practice.
Grow native plants. We operate a native plant nursery that produces plants for habitat restoration projects, educational gardens, and urban landscapes, and conducts research on native plant propagation using sustainable growing methods.
Connect children to nature. We offer environmental education programs for children pre-K thru high school to build their comfort in the outdoors and provide them with opportunities to learn about the links between agriculture, conservation, and the environment.
Restore and sustain habitat. We carry out conservation projects and research to learn how humans can use land to our benefit while protecting biodiversity.
FARM PRODUCTION CREW LEADER POSITION OVERVIEW
As a skilled member of our Production Crew with demonstrable field leadership experience, you will have the opportunity to work within all aspects of our operation, including in the field, pack shed, and occasional order delivery. With proper training and oversight, you will lead the harvest crew, and field-work projects such as transplanting, hand-weeding, and irrigating. Based on experience and aptitude, you will be trained to operate machinery and use implements for harvest and cultivation. In addition, you will work in the propagation house as well as participate in post-harvest handling, CSA packing, cleaning, and deliveries.
We harvest, wash, and pack product daily for our CSA program, wholesale, and restaurant accounts. Strong attention to detail and operating efficiently while performing time-sensitive tasks in a rapidly changing environment are a must for this position.
Our operation functions at a very unique scale requiring a great deal of manual labor as well as sophisticated mechanization. This is a seasonal, hourly position with a 5-6 day work week and up to 60 hours/week at peak season, with reduced hours in the shoulder months. Opportunity for year-round employment is strong for the right candidate.
FARM PRODUCTION CREW LEADER JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Harvesting of produce quickly, efficiently, and consistently for a variety of accounts
- Transplanting crops quickly and efficiently
- Cultivation of crops by hand and with various equipment
- Irrigation set up and maintenance
- Mechanical pest control
- Tracking and Documenting a number of details related to each crop
- Field construction, such as trellising and high tunnels
- Grass mowing and weed whacking
Post-Harvest Handling and Processing:
- Post-harvest handling, including receiving and processing of produce quickly, efficiently, and consistently for a variety of accounts
- Consistently rotating stock and maintaining product inventory
- Communicating with appropriate project lead, either the Pack Shed Coordinator or the Farm Sales Coordinator, when issues arise that impact order fulfillment or CSA pack out
- Packing CSA and Fruit Shares
- Pack Shed safety upkeep and hygiene cleanliness
- Delivering orders
General Farm Production Team:
- Act as a crew leader to track project time and communicate with Assistant Farm Manager and Pack Shed Coordinator regarding project-specific information
- Working and tracking within GAPS/FSMA food safety regulations
- Maintaining a smooth, timely flow with team members while working through projects
- Making sound judgment calls on product grading and time management
- Minimum 3 years production farm experience
- Small engine operation and tractor experience
- Crew management experience
- Ability to give direction and perform in a leadership capacity
- Physical dexterity and agility necessary in all aspects of the job for safety and efficiency
- Punctual with good time management skills
- Consistent attention to detail
- Positive, energetic interpersonal skills
- Strong back; able to lift heavy & awkward objects, up to 75 lbs.
- Work well independently and in a team setting
- Fast, adaptable learner
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Clear, consistent communication
- Flexibility within a multicultural, dynamic organization
- Ability to work for long durations in inclement weather – standing, sitting, bending over, or kneeling
- Capability to perform repetitive physical work with endurance
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus
Additional desired qualities include: environmentally conscious, detail oriented, self-motivated, energetic, and professional.
The Oxbow production farm is part of a larger non-profit organization. A commitment to Oxbow’s overall mission and working as part of a team is critical.
This is a seasonal, full-time position, paying $13-$15 per hour, DOE, with some paid time-off and access to food from the fields. Opportunity for year-round employment for the right candidate.
FARM PRODUCTION CREW LEADER REPORTS TO: Assistant Farm Manager with oversight from the Farm Manager.
TO APPLY FOR THE FARM PRODUCTION CREW LEADER JOB
Please read carefully, incomplete applications will not be considered. Email a resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Please write Farm Production Crew Lead in the email subject line and include where you found this position in the message body.
Deadline to apply: Open until filled.