Vegetable Breeding Intensive Short Course at Baia Nicchia Farm in Sunol, California, 2013
Register by email at email@example.com $50, worktrade & student discounts are available, pay with check or paypal (use donation button on the right) at: http://basilseedlibrary.com/event/vegetable-breeding-intensive-short-course
Fred Hempel is an organic farmer and plant breeder at Baia Nicchia farm. He breeds tomatoes squash, peppers, & mustard. He sells his own & Ethiopian vegetable varieties through Artisan Seeds. He has released multiple tomato
varieties that are sold through partnerships with wholesale producers and seed companies. The course will cover:
– Planning and Tools for Data Assessment: gather materials; preliminary experiments; prioritize important traits for plant selection
– Seed Saving and Introduction to Reproductive Biology (inbreeding, outcrossing, vegetative propagation, ect.)
– Principles of Selection: what to look out for in order to get the results you want, recognizing mutations, natural crossing between garden neighbors, and line variation b) Selection for, or against, recognized traits.
– Introduction to Cross-pollination, and How to create your own Hybrid
– An analysis of Hybrids
– Post-hybrid selection for new open-pollinated varieties.
– Selection and data organization
– Politics of Seed: Intellectual property, distribution issues and return-on-investment: Implications for the use of varieties in breeding, and for paying for your breeding activities.