NOTE: The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the
various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific
statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is
similar, related or a logical assignment.
• Supervise and guide s’Cool Food team members in carrying out their
individual roles and assignments. (Current team members include: Agriculture
and Infrastructure Manager, Program Manager, Youth & Schools Manager, and 2
Interns.) Monitor and review each s’Cool Food team member’s progress and
performance, as it relates to their assigned tasks, and their relationships
with individuals both within the Orfalea Foundations and in the Santa Barbara
County community. Actively participate in hiring decisions within s’Cool
• Ensure that each team member’s individual goals and accomplishments
further the overall mission and goals of s’Cool Food.
• Facilitate communications between s’Cool Food team members and
constituents within Santa Barbara County and beyond.
• Act as decision-maker on all significant matters related to s’Cool
Food after seeking and considering all pertinent information offered by
s’Cool Food team, consultants, Orfalea Foundations and other relevant
• Prepare and manage the annual s’Cool Food budget.
• Act as primary public spokesperson for s’Cool Food and identify key
opportunities for public speaking.
• Manage relationships with s’Cool Food consultants to ensure that
maximum use is being made of their time, skills, knowledge, and connections
with others working in the fields of food systems, sustainable agriculture, and
school food reform.
• Seek ways for the various initiatives within the Orfalea Foundations to
be integrated and mutually supportive.
• Establish and maintain active and positive working relationships with
community members, foundation partners, local and national nonprofit
organizations, key school district contacts, and other individuals and groups
to help ensure that efforts are not needlessly duplicated and that all
interested parties feel valued and included to the greatest extent practicable.
• Establish and maintain positive relationships with local, state and
federal politicians to advance the concept of school food reform at all levels
• Develop and maintain positive working relationships and open
communications channels with Orfalea Foundations’ board members, founders,
and advocate for the accomplishments and needs of the s’Cool Food team within
the larger organization.
• Conduct all duties with an eye toward eventually expanding successful
systems and projects to institutions and organizations beyond Santa Barbara
County public schools.
• Maintain relevant records, compile and verify data, and prepare clear,
concise and comprehensive written reports.
• Other duties as assigned.
• At least 5 years of work experience in leading program-based
initiatives directly involving the fields of institutional food reform,
sustainable food systems, nutrition education, or multi-site professional
• Bachelor’s degree or commensurate culinary or agricultural
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including abilities
to speak publicly and successfully handle media inquiries.
• Professional-level computer skills in MS Office Word, Quicken and
• Ability to envision expansion of project over both time and space, and
to anticipate needs of community members being served.
• Ability to organize, set priorities and exercise sound independent
judgment within areas of responsibility.
• Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive and
complex issues and situations.
• Ability to supervise, train and evaluate performance of assigned staff.
• Working knowledge of budget documents.
• Spanish language ability an asset.
• Ability to manage multiple, concurrent priorities and assume
independent responsibility for a wide range of projects.
SALARY: Commensurate with work experience
CONTACT INFORMATION: Resumes should be submitted electronically by September
30, 2009 to Solveig Chandler at firstname.lastname@example.org.