"local" is the most influential product claim of 2012. 5 Reasons to "Go Local"According to the National Association of the Specialty Food Trade,
- Freshness. Food travels an average of 1,500 miles to the supermarket. Local food is thousands of miles fresher.
- Flavor. Picked and sold when ripe, local produce is full of flavor.
- Nutrition. Plants lose nutrition after they’re harvested. Fresher produce is better for you.
- Community Impact. $45 out of every $100 spent locally stays in the community. Plus, a greater percentage of the price goes to the farmer.
- Environmental Impact. 1.5 million tons of CO2 is emitted annually in the production and transport of fresh fruit and vegetables to the New York metropolitan area alone.