According to the National Association of the Specialty Food Trade, “local” is the most influential product claim of 2012.
5 Reasons to “Go Local”
- Freshness. Food travels an average of 1,500 miles to the supermarket. Local food is thousands of miles fresher.
- Flavor. Picked and sold when ripe, local produce is full of flavor.
- Nutrition. Plants lose nutrition after they’re harvested. Fresher produce is better for you.
- Community Impact. $45 out of every $100 spent locally stays in the community. Plus, a greater percentage of the price goes to the farmer.
- Environmental Impact. 1.5 million tons of CO2 is emitted annually in the production and transport of fresh fruit and vegetables to the New York metropolitan area alone.
Check out the full CNBC article using the link above…