Novice Farmer Program at MSU’s North Farm
Learn To Farm!
Are you interested in learning how to farm? The Novice Farmer Program might be what you are looking for. The Novice Farmer Program is a pilot program combining nine on-line courses (18 credits) and a four-month (6 credits) on-farm experience to train participants in year-round organic farming. The program focuses on diversified nutrient dense crop production for local markets. Participants gain a foundation of knowledge through the on-line courses and then develop competencies in farm skills and business planning through experiential learning opportunities that revolve around the daily operation of MSU’s North Farm located in Michigan’s upper peninsula. The program is designed to give participants a strong foundation in production skills and prepare them for additional experiences or education.
The Novice Farmer program is offered through Michigan State University’s Institute for Agricultural Technology and results in a Novice Farmer Certificate. This Certificate of Completion is non-transcriptable, but students have the opportunity to complete a second year of coursework to earn an Institute of Agriculture Technology Certificate in Fruit and Vegetable Production.
For more and information, a list of specific courses, and links to the application visit www.msunorthfarm.org.
Novice Farmers Will Receive:
- A foundation of farming knowledge through on-line courses and instruction
- Practical hands-on experience in the day-to-day operation of a diversified vegetable farm
- The opportunity to live and work on an organic farm in the picturesque heart of the Upper Peninsula
- Instruction and practice developing farm and business plans for personalized farm enterprises
- Skills utilizing passive solar greenhouses, cold storage, and season extension techniques for year round production in northern climates
- Management, leadership, and team-building skills focused around farm operations
- A network of friends, farmers, and mentors that can be utilized well into the future.
- A basis for coupling ecological and production systems for high yields with beneficial environmental practices
- An opportunity to continue coursework towards an Institute of Agriculture Technology Certificate in Fruit and Vegetable Production
For more information on the Novice Farmer Program at MSU’s North Farm, please visit
You can also contact Abbey Palmer at email@example.com