With 80 acres of gardens, woods, and pastures, their farm’s focus is our growing 100-household CSA program. Market sales and wholesale clients, as well as a new line of value-added products, are also growing aspects of their business.
Known for its natural beauty and recreational opportunities, their part of northern Michigan is a regional tourist destination. They are situated in the countryside among rolling hills, woods, and fields, within driving distance of a number of picturesque towns. Great spots for hiking, fishing, biking, boating, and swimming surround them.
A full-time position is available for one extraordinary person, beginning in April and continuing through November 2015, with a possibility of continued employment for the right individual.
• Significant experience in one or more of the following: organic vegetable production, managed intensive rotational grazing (broilers, layers, and/or hogs), greenhouse practices, harvest and post-harvest handling
• A very consistent positive attitude
• Shared commitment to organic farming methods and land stewardship practices
• Serious intentions to start a farm one day
• A love of working hard outdoors despite physical demands and all kinds of weather
• Ease with being around our two small children. Though they would never ask you to watch them, they are often around during working hours
• Experience operating and maintaining farm equipment
• A consistently strong work ethic and excellent communication skills
• Based on experience, though we’re at the higher end of the going rate for farm work
• Housing is negotiable
• Includes a very generous food package, including certified organic produce and pasture-raised pork, eggs, and chicken. Bulk provisions will be provided. Catered on-farm lunches are negotiable
• An educational stipend of $35 per month, which can be used to buy books or attend local farming workshops during the growing season, or saved up toward fees for winter conferences