• At least 1 year experience in farming/gardening, with at least 6 months of on-farm job experience
• Able and willing to do hard manual labor and to lift at least 50 pounds
• Basic computer skills (Word, Excel, e-mail, etc.)
• Organizational & communication skills (record-keeping, data entry, planning, filing, managing schedules, e-mail, etc)
• Farmer’s market sales experience preferred
• Comfortable working with a diverse group of people (age, race, gender, ethnicity, economic status)
• Driver’s License and ability to drive a standard shift truck a plus
• Outgoing and friendly with the public
• Ability to stay on task while handling multiple distractions
• Comfortable directing volunteer workers
• Attention to detail (attractive produce displays, clean tool sheds, etc.)
• Experience in community outreach and/or marketing a plus
• Ability to instruct community members in gardening techniques
• Basic construction skills preferred
• Spanish language fluency a plus
Duration & Work Schedule:
• Year Apprenticeship, December 2009-December 2010 (somewhat flexible start & end dates)
• 35 hours per week, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays required
• Three weeks paid vacation in December/January plus two weeks paid vacation (negotiable)
• Housing is provided within walking/biking distance to most work sites and regional public transportation.
• Board (food) stipend.
• $300 stipend per month.
Application is attached, and also available for download at www.cityslickerfarms.org. If interested please fill out an application and send your resume to:
City Slicker Farms
1625 16th St.
Oakland, CA 94607
Application deadline OCTOBER 5th
West Oakland residents, people of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply.