Farm Manager Position Available in Colombus, Ohio for 2017PROJECT SUMMARY: Urban Farms of Central Ohio, an initiative of Mid-Ohio Foodbank, transforms vacant sites in underserved neighborhoods into thriving farms that provide communities with increased access to fresh produce, jobs and job training, and opportunities for civic engagement. Currently, UFCO operates two five acre sites in Columbus, Clarfield Farm and Wheatland Farm. Both farm sites use intensive, organic growing practices, and high-tunnels for season extension to grow high-quality produce for a variety of beneficiaries and/or market buyers. The farm sites also benefit the communities in which they’re located in by being a space for education, job readiness training, and civic engagement. Farm Manager POSITION SUMMARY: The Farm Manager will be responsible for developing, overseeing, and managing Clarfield Farm and Wheatland Farm. The Farm Manager will oversee all aspects of vegetable production, the operation of four high-tunnels and seedling start greenhouse, produce marketing and distribution, and facilitate on the farm training and educational programming with the Program Manager. The Farm Manager will also be responsible for recruiting, managing, and leading support staff, apprentices, and community volunteers. Farm Manager Position PRIMARY DUTIES:
- Manage farm business by creating, implementing, and managing annual farm plan including farm budget, operation, production, marketing, sales, and distribution plans in accordance to business plan.
- Develop labor and work plans, provide supervision and management of farm help including Site Leads, Seasonal Farm Assistants, apprentices, and community volunteers.
- Operate, maintain, and enhance farm infrastructure, equipment, and materials to manage and improve sites, including high-tunnels.
- Oversee produce marketing and the distribution of produce through multiple streams, including restaurants, farmer’s markets, CSA, and farm stand.
- Participates in, when necessary, and leads daily farm-related tasks including planting, weeding, harvesting, irrigating, and general maintenance.
- Collect and maintain all records to prepare monthly reports on the status of the urban farms for supervisor and Mid-Ohio Foodbank leadership, and to comply with organic certification requirements. Work closely with supervisor to plan, coordinate, and budget for urban farm sites.
- Build and maintain relationships with local community residents and stakeholders, volunteer groups, local restaurants and buyers, community advocates for anti-poverty and health initiatives, and philanthropic entities.
- Assists with general Strategic Initiative activities, including the identification and assessment of future sites, and development and implementation of educational and training programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.