Hidden Villa in California is offering two internship positions in 2016: the “Agriculture Intern” position for the CSA and the “Animal Husbandry” internship.
We are seeking energetic, responsible team players to fill our internship positions. The CSA position runs for about 11 months from early April 2016 until March 2017. The animal husbandry internship runs from early April 2016 until the end of March 2017.
Hidden Villa is a nonprofit educational organization that uses its organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Hidden Villa stretches over 1,600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco. Our mission is “to inspire a just and sustainable future through our programs, land, and legacy.”
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES (CSA intern)
The general responsibility of the agriculture intern is to work directly under the supervision of the Farm Manager and Flower Grower and Journeyman Farmer as a member of the five-person farm crew. This is physically demanding farm work that involves all aspects of our farm’s production. This internship provides the opportunity to live, work and learn on an organic farm and to participate in classes and other opportunities with other Hidden Villa staff. This internship is a farmer-in-training program.
Working Hours: Monday to Friday (9-5 minimum) with seasonal extended hours.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES (animal husbandry intern)
The general responsibility of the Animal Husbandry Apprentice is to work directly under the supervision of the Animal Husbandry Manager as a member of the property team. The apprentice will learn from participation in all aspects of livestock management from breeding, nutritional management, health maintenance, and facilities maintenance to slaughter, processing, and direct market sales. The position will also include opportunities to educate the public, both children and adults, in aspects of livestock management, sustainability, food, and consumer education. Professional development opportunities and weekly classes included.
Working Hours: Thursday to Monday 7:30 AM – 5:00 PM with some extended hours required. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are off.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES (CSA intern) INCLUDE
• Field work: seeding, transplantation, weeding, harvesting, irrigation, some tractor work, etc.
• Assisting in the operation of Hidden Villa’s Community Supported Agriculture Program
• Training and overseeing volunteer activities
• Perform basic ranch maintenance tasks and simple repairs
• Engage in meetings and activities of the staff of Hidden Villa
• Participate in communal living responsibilities with interns.
• Attend weekly enrichment classes provided for the interns each Monday.
• Attend professional development opportunities which you will select with the help of the intern coordinator and farm manager.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES (animal husbandry intern) INCLUDE:
• Work on all aspects of our livestock production: daily feeding, milking, cleaning, etc.
• Provide coverage for weekend chore responsibilities
• Oversee the Hidden Villa Farmers Market stand with the Journeyman Farmer Apprentice
• Assist in sales and direct marketing of meat, eggs, wool, etc.
• Perform basic ranch maintenance tasks and repairs
• Support weekend program activity in various departments, when needed
• Participate in communal living responsibilities with other interns
• Attend weekly enrichment classes provided for the interns each Monday
• Attend applicable college courses and professional development trainings, paid for by Hidden Villa
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age with the ability to work outside performing manual labor. Valid driver’s license and clean driving record (no major infractions). Documentation establishing your right to work in the United States, along with submission of fingerprints and the subsequent successful background check.
Candidates should possess a basic knowledge of plants and an interest in sustainable agriculture and farm management. Candidates must be self-starters with the ability to work independently and must be able to work with a diverse group of children and adults, including volunteers.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This position is a full-time, year-long, residential, exempt position. A stipend of $525/month is provided. Benefits include: housing, seasonal produce, bulk staples, meat & dairy products from the farm when available, holiday time, vacation, and sick leave. No medical, dental or vision benefits are provided however an additional stipend of $100/month is included to offset any medical expenses interns may incur. Obtaining coverage is the responsibility of the intern. Hidden Villa is a non-smoking environment.
Interns receives 12 days of paid vacation per year in addition to any Hidden Villa holidays that fall Monday-Friday. Vacations requests are subject to manager approval.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter, a current resume and completed internship application to:
Intern Coordinator at Hidden Villa, 26870 Moody Road, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022
Or via e-mail to email@example.com
This position is OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Telephone inquiries can be directed to (650)949-6327.
For more information and internship applications, please visit www.hiddenvilla.org/programs/internship