West Michigan Academy of Environmental Science
is seeking an Garden Manager for our new
FARM TO SCHOOL PROGRAM
West Michigan Academy of Environmental Science (WMAES) is a preK-12th grade school situated on 62 acres of diverse ecosystems. We have a few small organic garden areas and are looking to start some new spaces to grow fruits and vegetables for our salad bar in spring and fall as well as start a small school CSA and Farmer’s Market program. This is an adventurous program and we need YOU to help!
The Intern will be responsible for:
• Planning, designing and constructing new garden spaces and adding on to new ones
• Helping with the implementation of a Youth Farm Stand and aiding in the hiring of 4, 9-12th grade students
• Taking students on field trips during summer
• Work Monday nights from 6:30-8 with our Green Thumb Club
• Caring for all gardens with help of students and taking produce to farmer’s market one day a week
• Helping to install irrigation system and fencing
• Using all tillers and tractors
• Co-leading farm related workshops throughout the summer to school families and community members
• Whatever else may come up!
When: Start May 2009 through August/Sept.
Where: West MI Academy of Environmental Science
Grand Rapids MI
School website: www.wma-es.com
Who: Students with garden/farm /nutrition education experience that can work independently as well as with direction from site supervisor.
Wage: Work 350 hours from May-Sept for $3500 plus profit of vegetables sold at Farmer’s Markets
How to apply: Send letter of interest and resume to :