The National Family Farm Coalition (NFFC) is seeking fall intern(s) to assist on food and agriculture issues in our Washington, DC office. Founded in 1986, NFFC represents family farm, fishing and rural groups whose members face the challenge of the deepening economic recession in rural communities.
The combination of our 26 member groups' grassroots strength and NFFC's experience at the national level enables us to play a unique role in working to secure a sustainable, economically just, healthy and secure food and farm system. Additional power comes from collaboration with a network of domestic and international organizations sharing similar ideals.
Interns will have an opportunity to assist with various aspects of NFFC's work, including monitoring pending federal legislation, attending hearings, and supporting NFFC's work around implementation of programs from the 2008 Farm Bill as well as issues related to the 2012 Farm Bill. Potential areas of focus include: strategic reserves, corporate concentration, farm subsidies, trade and genetically modified organisms (GMOs). Interns will have opportunities to attend meetings, events, and hearings on Capitol Hill and at the U.S. Department of Agriculture and other government agencies.
Skills and Qualifications:
· Working towards, or completed, a college degree.
· Interest and experience in agricultural and/or farm policy. Ideally the intern will have professional, classroom, or on-farm experience with food and farm policy issues
· Strong oral, written, organizational and research skills
· Self-motivated and able to work both independently and collaboratively
· Knowledge of federal legislative process helpful
· Understanding of expectations of a professional work environment
· Social media/website skills desired, but not required
The position is for August-December 2011 in our Washington, DC office located on Capitol Hill. Hours: minimum of 20 hours/week. A modest transportation stipend will be provided. Telecommuting positions will be considered; please indicate this preference in your application.
To apply, please send a cover letter, a resume, and a writing sample to Lisa Griffith at firstname.lastname@example.org
with “ Intern Application” in the subject line; only complete applications will be considered. Applications accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled.
For more information about NFFC visit www.nffc.net