· Year-round workshops for adults on topics pertaining to home gardening and sustainable living
· Summer programming for youth: A day camp, a middle school internship program, a weekly story hour for preschoolers, and more
· After school programming during the spring and fall
· Coordinate two yearly family events
· Oversee and strengthen school partnerships including school field trips to the farm and outreach with schools
This position requires a high degree of organization, self-motivation and innovation, and the capacity for short and long-term planning concurrent with delivery of ongoing programming. The FEC will at times be the “face” of the farm and our educational programming, so good communication skills are important.
The position, based at the Newton Community Farm, 303 Nahanton St., Newton, is currently part-time, averaging 12 hours / week. The workload increases during the spring, summer, and fall and is lighter during the winter. Weekday and some weekend hours are expected. Specific hours will vary according to program needs. This is a staff position in a growing non-profit organization for an energetic self-starter; our strong hope is to hire an individual who anticipates continued involvement to grow the program.
· Strategic planning and vision for the educational programming.
· Maintain, update, and create curriculum for workshops, classes, and summer programming.
· Work with the education committee to design seasonal course offerings
· Schedule Educational Classes and Workshops
· Process course registrations and payments
· Oversee monthly education committee meeting
· Hire and supervise Farmer in Training counselor each summer
· Coordinate Public Events sponsored by the Education Committee
· Supervise Education Volunteers
· Teach two workshops each season
· Work closely with farm staff and board members to publicize educational programming
· Excel/Microsoft Word
· Some knowledge of Filemaker Pro (or a quick learner)
· General gardening knowledge
To Apply: Applications by email strongly encouraged. Please send a resume, cover letter and list of three references to Greg Maslowe, Farm Manager.
Targeted start date: August 15, 2011.
Applications accepted until position is filled.