The farm is primarily a berry operation, with strawberries and blueberries being the two largest crops. There are also smaller plantings of raspberries, blackberries, cantaloupe, watermelon, tomatoes, garlic, and potatoes, as well as a small herd of grass-fed cattle. Geese are also often raised on the farm to help with the weeding of the strawberries. About 70 percent of the farm assistant’s time will be spent working with strawberries and blueberries. Please check out the farm’s website (www.plowcreekfarm.com) for a broader view of the operation.
Season Length and Hours:
- 3-4 months, May-August 2013
- 40-50 hours/week. Hours depend on season and will fluctuate, but normal weeks will average 8 hour work days from Monday to Friday, half day on Saturdays, and off on Sundays. The Farm Assistant will also accrue one vacation day per month.
- Knowledge and interest in organic farming and prior experience working on a vegetable/berry farm
- Ability to perform hard physical labor and perform repetitive, physical tasks efficiently
- Ability and interest in working in a community setting and with a team of workers, as well as the ability to work independently
- Valid driver’s license
- On-site housing provided
- Fruit and vegetables produced on the farm
How to apply: please send a resume, two professional references, and a brief description of your farming experience to email@example.com Please feel free send any questions about the position to the same address.
Applications due by January 31 or until position is filled.