The Edible Schoolyard Berkeley is a program of the Chez Panisse Foundation
Position Description: The ESY Berkeley (ESYB) Director (hereafter, the "Director") is responsible for the leadership, development, and management of the ESYB program. (S)he manages a staff of 10-12 people and works closely with the Chez Panisse Foundation (CPF), where some aspects of ESYB's administrative work are handled, including accounts payable and human resources. (S)he serves as the public face and chief representative of ESYB to the media and at conferences and other events. (S)he also assists with fundraising, and ensures integration of academics into ESYB. The
Director reports to the ESY Programs Director.
About the Chez Panisse Foundation: CPF is committed to transforming public education by using food traditions to teach, nurture, and empower young people. The Foundation envisions a curriculum, integrated with the school lunch service and a wonderful dining experience, in which growing, cooking, and sharing food at the table give students the knowledge and values to build a humane and sustainable future.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Manage all ESYB staff, interns, and AmeriCorps members including conducting employee reviews, and working with CPF to: update job descriptions and human resource materials, hire staff, and assign program responsibilities
• Manage volunteers including recruitment, orientation, scheduling, and files
• Manage office systems including, but not limited to: phones, computers, information requests, filing, scheduling, and supplies
• Coordinate weekly ESYB staff meetings and monthly ESYB/CPF staff meetings Program Development & Management
• Substitute for garden/kitchen teachers as needed
• Develop materials that integrate the principles of Edible Education into core academic subjects
• Work in collaboration with ESYB and MLK staff on the integration of academics into the ESYB program curriculum
• Work with CPF and ESYB staff to identify and produce program replication tools for distribution to a national audience Outreach and Community/School Relations
• Manage and implement garden/kitchen class schedule in tandem with MLK staff
• Act as liaison and facilitate communications between MLK, ESYB, and CPF staff
• Coordinate and lead monthly public tours
• Manage and coordinate events and activities, as well as outreach materials, pertaining to: annual plant sale, special classes, summer program, community events, public offerings, and volunteer work days
• Maintain ESYB website and communications in collaboration with CPF staff
• Represent ESYB at conferences and workshops
• Communicate with neighbors and the wider school community regarding any concerns or inquiries about ESYB
• Collaborate with CPF staff on media interviews and special tours
• Create public relations and outreach materials Fundraising and Finance
• Collaborate with CPF on fundraising, including but not limited to grant writing, event planning, and donor cultivation
• Develop and manage ESYB program budget annually and review with CPF quarterly Qualifications
• Excellent verbal, written, and social communication skills
• Strong working understanding of the public school system and experience with curriculum, and lesson plan development and implementation
• Teaching credential preferred
• Demonstrated success in non-profit and staff management
• Experience in fundraising
• Sincere passion for work in environmental education and Edible Education
• Strong collaborative expertise
• Demonstrated creative problem solving skills
• Honesty, integrity, and humility
• Ability to work and multi-task within a highly diverse public school environment
This is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package included.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with ESYB Director in the subject line. No calls, please.
The Chez Panisse Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.