Position Title: Peckham Farm Team Leader
Position Type: Full Time
Benefit Status: Full
Location: Lansing, Michigan
SUMMARY: The Peckham Farm Team Leader position will be coordinating the day to day responsibilities of the Peckham Farm project. Peckham Farms is committed to providing local access to healthy foods through the use of organic farming practices, and to being an incubator of sustainable ideas and methods for the Greater Lansing community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Familiarity with all aspects of running a small scale farm – irrigation, hoop house maintenance, seeding, transplanting, bed preparation, composting, weed control, insect control, and post harvest handling- Daily
- Basic tractor experience including tractor and implement maintenance, cultivating, disking and plowing ‑ Daily
- Skills in operating and maintaining a wide range of specialized vegetable equipment and implements.
- Experience in creation and management of a farm plan, whole farm budget and farm market.
- Basic carpentry/handyman skills – As Needed
- Teaching experience.‑ As Needed
- Demonstrated experience in working collaboratively with persons from various cultures and backgrounds - Daily
- A thorough understanding of the impacts of race, culture, and racism on the American food system.
- Demonstrated experience in building and coaching a diverse team.
- Proficient with social media and experience in marketing and market development.
- Participate in the recruitment, selection, and contracting with up to ten small farmers.
- Assist farmers and begin education efforts around business skills and environmentally – friendly farming practices.
- Drafting a farm operations and policy manual.
- Oversee the preparation of land and planting (beginning in spring of 2011)
- Co-manage the installation of the season extension and labor saving infrastructure: hoop houses, irrigation, produce washing and packing equipment
- Proficiency in Word and Excel for recordkeeping and reporting purposes.
- Knowledge about and prior experience in implementing organic principles and certification.
- Assist in the training of people with disabilities - Daily
- Experience managing interns
- Promote Peckham’s vision, values, and services to all customers and stakeholders - Daily
- Assist in maintaining organization wide quality standards - Daily
- Knowledge of farming hazards and conscious of safety.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Supervise 2-5 Team Members working in the farm with assistance of the Farm Committee and the Peckham Vocational Services Specialists. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and maintains all applicable safety regulations regarding public health standards and laws. Responsibilities include training, planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
This position requires passing and maintaining a security background check. Must have access to reliable transportation. Must maintain an unrestricted Michigan driver’s license and possess a clear driving record (in accordance with company insurance policy) to drive the company vehicle.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The physical demands of this position may be reasonably accommodated for individuals with disabilities on a case by case basis.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelors degree in related field is desired and a minimum of three years farming experience, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports, case notes and correspondence.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
CPR/First Aid, Chauffeurs License, Licensed commercial pesticide applicator or willing to obtain after hire.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The physical demands of this position may be reasonably accommodated for individuals with disabilities on a case by case basis.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The physical demands of this position may be reasonably accommodated for individuals with disabilities on a case by case basis.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; all outside weather conditions; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Peckham, Inc. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and is operated in accordance with a policy which does not permit discrimination because of race, color, sex, age, handicap, national origin, or any other artificial characteristic.
EOE-Embracing Diversity to Achieve Excellence
Please visit Monster.com to apply for Peckham job opportunities. Please include wage expectations when applying. Please respond to this posting no later than
3510 Capital City Blvd.
Lansing, MI. 48906
Job Posting #1275.