POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Program Associate
Cornell University Department of Natural Resources; Cornell Ecoagriculture Working GroupThe Cornell Ecoagriculture Working Group (CEWG; ecoag.cals.cornell.edu) is a partnership of faculty, students, and staff within Cornell University’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences that works to advance the science and practice of ecoagriculture—an approach to managing rural landscapes to ensure sustainable food production, rural livelihoods, and environmental conservation. We do so by conducting original applied research; by synthesizing research findings for policy makers and conservation and rural development practitioners; by conducting field-based projects in the United States and abroad; and by collaborating with diverse partners at Cornell University and across the globe. We also work closely with the international non-governmental organization EcoAgriculture Partners (www.ecoagriculture.org) to provide scientific and research support to policy initiatives and field activities that promote ecoagriculture.
On behalf of CEWG, the Cornell University Department of Natural Resources seeks to hire a Program Associate to contribute to the CEWG’s work on sustainable agriculture, food security, natural resource conservation, and climate change adaptation and mitigation in rural landscapes. The Program Associate job is a full time salaried position, for three years. The appointment will be offered initially for a three-month pilot period, with additional extension likely depending upon satisfactory performance. The position is based at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, and is available immediately.
The Program Associate will:
· Conduct library and Internet research on strategies for the sustainable integration of food production, conservation, and rural livelihoods;
· Conduct expert consultations with leaders and innovators in these fields, from around the world;
· Work closely with CEWG senior staff to prepare analytical papers, presentations, and briefs for policymakers, donors, and other audiences;
· Develop curriculum materials for short courses on ecoagriculture for conservation and agriculture professionals in the U.S., Africa, and Latin America;
· Prepare presentation-quality graphics for print and online media to communicate key messages and results;
· Participate in meetings and workshops with CEWG staff, affiliated faculty and scientists at Cornell, and occasional team meetings in Washington, D.C.;
· Have the opportunity to participate in field-based activities in agricultural landscapes in the United States and in various tropical developing countries.
Required skills and experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in an agricultural or environmental field of study;
· Excellent English writing and editing skills;
· Superior analytical skills;
· Knowledge of at least one of the following areas:
o Agroecosystems and sustainable agriculture,
o Cropping or livestock systems,
o Rural development,
o Natural resource management,
o Biodiversity and ecosystem services;
· Highly organized and detail-oriented;
· Proficiency in creating presentation quality graphics, and with software program(s) for doing so;
· Proactive, flexible and creative.
· Master’s degree in a field of study related to agriculture, environment, rural development, or public policy, OR at least two years’ professional experience related to one of these areas;
· Knowledge of or experience working in tropical rural landscapes;
· Knowledge of or experience using web-based content management systems;
· Foreign language proficiency, especially in Spanish;
· Willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 15% time.
Salary and benefits:
· $2,600-$3,500/month full-time equivalent, depending upon experience;
· Basic benefits for Temporary employees during 3-month pilot period, including health insurance; standard employee benefit package after that.
To apply, please send your resume; a cover letter describing your background, experience, and interest in this position; two writing samples (maximum of five pages each); one graphics or presentation sample; and the names and contact information for three references in an email message with subject line “CEWG Program Associate – [your name]” to Dr. Louise Buck, email@example.com. Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until this position is filled.