2016 Field Crew Jobs at Red Dog Farm in Washington State
Red Dog Farm is a 23-acre organic farm with 15 acres in vegetable and berry production. Located on the Olympic Peninsula, they are nestled in the beautiful Center Valley of Chimacum, Washington. They produce crops year-round and sell to two local farmers markets, to local restaurants and wholesalers, through their CSA program, and at their own self-serve farm stand.
Red Dog Farm is going into its ninth season with farm owner/ operator Karyn Williams. Co- Farm Managers Alice Lee and Dawn Rostad have worked at Red Dog Farm since 2014 and 2015, respectively. The farm crew consists of nine full time, full-season employees, three full time, peak season employees, and volunteers.
Red Dog Farm is a production farm with a strong focus on efficiency, crop diversity, and customer satisfaction. They spend the vast majority of their time harvesting, washing and packing, as they utilize tractors for the majority of the weeding and field prep.
There are currently openings for three full time field crew positions for the 2016 season. Ideal field crew applicants are smart, tough, detail-oriented, possess a strong interest in food and farming, enjoy working on a team, and are ready for a new challenge. Applications are accepted and reviewed on an on-going basis until the positions are filled.
Compensation: Hourly wage of $9.50 per hour plus fresh produce from the fields.
- Full-season Field Crew positions begin April or May and run through November or December.
- Peak-season Field Crew positions begin July and run through September.
- Hours are 40- 45 per week.
- Strong preference given to those interested in a 2-year commitment.
Essential Job Functions
- The primary responsibility is to harvest, wash and pack produce.
- In addition, there is a lot of other field work including but not limited to transplanting, hand weeding, hoeing, and moving irrigation.
- There are also the following roles to fill: greenhouse work/ plant starts, farmers markets, delivering, farm stand stocking, washing/ packing and tractor driving.
- One season previous farm experience preferred
- Strong interest in farming necessary
- Flexibility and desire to learn new methods and farm systems
- Good communication skills
- Energetic, fun and motivated personality
- Excellent work ethic and positive attitude
- Conscientious and able to work with all kinds of people
- Strong back and knees
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Willingness to fully commit to the farm for the season
- Preference given to those interested in staying on for multiple seasons
To apply, fill out the Employment Application on our website (www.reddogfarm.net/staff) and submit along with your current resume. Materials may be submitted using one of the following options:
MAIL: Red Dog Farm
Attn: Field Crew Position
P.O. Box 402
Chimacum, WA 98325