Paid 9-Month Livestock Apprenticeship at Aldermere Farm, Rockport Maine
About Aldermere Farm & the Livestock Apprenticeship Program:
Aldermere Farm is a preserve of Maine Coast Heritage Trust (MCHT), a state-wide land conservation organization. The Trust maintains Aldermere as a working beef cattle farm and educational center helping visitors deepen their appreciation for land conservation and sustainable agriculture. Aldermere Farm also serves as a resource for individuals pursuing careers in agriculture.
Apprentices at Aldermere Farm gain experience managing all facets of a beef farm’s operations, including the logistics of hay and baleage production and rotational grazing, and developing annual plans to manage a herd’s health, reproduction, and nutrition. Apprentices also help lead ag programs for youth, like the Aldermere Achievers 4-H Club and the Farm Hands after-school program.
The lessons apprentices learn go beyond the logistics of farm operations. During their time at the farm, they engage with the community through educational agricultural programs, which teach about the local food system—food production, processing, distribution, consumption and waste management– through the lens of environmental conservation and community well-being.
Aldermere is a 136-acre saltwater farm located at 20 Russell Avenue, Rockport in the scenic midcoast of Maine.
Reports To: General Manager and Herd Manager
Up to nine months from mid-March to mid-November.
$1,000 monthly stipend, benefits, shared housing, training and supervision
Under the direction of the General Manager and Herd Manager, the position assists with all cattle related functions of Aldermere Farm including feed and nutrition, breeding and calving, sales of cattle and semen, purchase of breedstock and beef cattle. Will also assist with Aldermere programs like 4-H, Beef Basics and other initiatives.
Essential Livestock Apprenticeship Job Functions:
- Assist with all healthcare/medical needs of the animals including giving vaccinations, watching for illnesses, and basic care.
- Help maintain all cattle records and inventories for the farm.
- Analyze cattle monthly and work on projections for beef program
- Assist with breeding operation to maintain Aldermere’s world class standing as well as to generate revenues.
- Assists with cattle at local, regional and national venues.
- Help with cattle marketing.
- Assistant with the youth agricultural programs, such as Farm Hands and 4-H beef club. Farm Hands -leading classes in halter training of calves and cattle care. Aldermere Achiever 4-H Club- create a positive learning environment for the youth, and be in direct and close communications with their families. 4-H members will be expected to volunteer doing significant tasks for the farm and the Herd Manager and Apprentice must make sure they are done safely and efficiently.
- Will be expected to interact on a regular basis with the public and must represent MCHT well at all times.
- Must make sure that Aldermere staff and volunteers adhere at all times to our high standards for animal welfare.
- Work with staff and volunteers in any/all aspects of farm operations –building maintenance, grounds care, pen cleaning, haying.
- Will be expected to assist with and support other public/community events and farm programs.
- Collaborate well with others to ensure that cattle care is met and to assist with other operation tasks as well.
Education & Experience:
Agricultural, education or business management degrees will be helpful but real life practical experience most necessary.
- Excellent project management, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Good interpersonal oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and part of a team.
- Ability to promote and maintain positive public relations and to interact with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to communicate clear expectations to staff and volunteers
- Ability to coordinate projects with peers in the organization collaboratively
- Computer skills –basic skills preferred, but not required
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work both indoors and outdoors in year around conditions. Work will require significant physical strength and endurance. Some significant care will need to be taken while working around cattle and equipment. Some office time to maintain records. Possibly time assisting with care/maintenance/harvesting at a vegetable operation owned and managed by MCHT called Erickson Fields Preserve in Rockport.
Attn: Joelle Albury
70 Russell Avenue
Rockport, ME 04856
Livestock Apprenticeship Application Procedure:
Maine Organic Farmers & Gardeners Association’s Apprenticeship Program is working with MCHT to provide apprentices with additional training and networking opportunities. To take advantage of these benefits, applicants may apply at www.MOFGA.org (listings are under Knox County, see KNX-26 for Aldermere Farm).
Applicants for the Livestock Apprenticeship may also submit a cover letter and resume directly to Aldermere Farm via email, email@example.com.
To learn more about farming jobs and internships or to post an opportunity on beginningfarmers.org, go to: http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/