The Hawaii Institute of Pacific Agriculture (HIP Agriculture) is a conscious movement of inspired individuals living a model of sustainability through direct engagement with the earth and service to youth and communities.
At the heart of HIP Agriculture is a commitment to personal growth and awakening that empowers individuals to be activated leaders for change.
Located in beautiful, historic North Kohala, HIP Agriculture is a growing community that cultivates a diverse collection of Polynesian crops and operates as an educational site offering sustainable agriculture courses, youth programming, community workshops and events. Through farming and hands-on education HIP Agriculture is pioneering a new paradigm of conscious agriculture that honors indigenous wisdom, food sovereignty and the transformational power of returning to the land.
Market Garden Manager Job
We are seeking an individual/couple to manage our market garden operations.We ask for a minimum 1-year commitment. More info at http://www.hipagriculture.org/about/join-our-team
Market Garden Manager Job Responsibilities include
- Management of nursery care, seeding, and transplanting
- Management of crop rotation and quality record keeping
- Management of harvest for restaurants and farmers markets
- Management of soil fertility, pest control, and weeds
- Manage irrigation system and watering of the fields and nursery
- Manage, educate and train new farm workers and students
- Maintain a clean and organizes packing shed
- Management of all garden supplies and tools
- Bed prep: Being able to use a BCS and/or a tractor is a plus
- Strong ability to communicate with others and work well within a community environment.
- Experience in working at Farmers Markets and Driving a Delivery Van is a plus
- Must have a clean driving record and valid drivers license
- Weekly managers and staff meeting
- Occasional participation in educational activities and community engagement
- Weekly chores to maintain the common areas
- Milking – 1-2 days a week
- Weekly community dinners
- Housing accommodations in a private hale
- Access to 1000 sq. ft. shared kitchen and study space
- Shared hot/cold showers, composting toilets and washing machine on site
- Community food supplies (vegetables and fruit harvested from land, bulk grains and legumes)
- Walking distance to nearby swimming and surfing spots
- Access to HIP Ag libraries, educational events, etc.
- Stipend of $500/month
For more information about HIP Agriculture or the Market Garden Manager Job contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about farming jobs and internships or to post an opportunity on beginningfarmers.org, go to: http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/