Seasonal Sustainable Agriculture Assistant Position Available at Duke Farms in Hillsborough, NJ – 2018
Duke Farms (DF) is a leader in environmental stewardship and inspires visitors to become informed stewards of the land. It is a place of education, enjoyment and research that enhances the environmental health of the region.
Through the beauty of its natural setting, the diversity of its wildlife, and the scope and quality of its educational programs, demonstrations and research, DF inspires people to transform their approach to conservation and to start building a more sustainable future.
SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE ASSISTANT JOB SUMMARY
The Seasonal Sustainable Agriculture Assistant is a member of the Natural Resources &
Agroecology team. They will be responsible for collaborating with the Manager of Sustainable Agriculture and Community Garden Coordinator at DF on the maintenance of a small-scale farming operation that will supply the DF Café with produce from hoophouse and field production as well as supporting the 60-layer hen operation. The individual will specifically contribute to the implementation of Duke Farms multi-faceted agriculture program, including the rotationally grazed beef herd, greenhouse production, permaculture, annual crops (till and no-till), perennial crops, innovative cover crop/green manure practices, on site compost production, and marketing through our own farm to table market and may be called upon to support other aspects of the farm if needed.
The Seasonal Sustainable Agriculture Assistant will have the option to reside at Duke Farms, as a condition of his/her employment, in housing provided by DF and subject to the DF Housing Protocols.
ESSENTIAL SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE ASSISTANT JOB FUNCTIONS
- All aspects of farm work, in all extremes of weather, including, but not limited to: Irrigation, weeding, seeding, transplanting, greenhouse propagation/production, mowing, livestock care, haying, harvest, paddock layout, fencing installation and maintenance, and marketing;
1112 Dukes Parkway West, Hillsborough, NJ 08844 TEL 908 722 3700 www.dukefarms.org
- Coordinate with other DF staff as needed to address necessary maintenance of facilities, equipment and machinery.
SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE ASSISTANT POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in a farming operation is required, preferably at a sustainable agricultural operation;
- Competent and familiar with most farm machinery, tractors, and implements or the ability and willingness to learn from seasoned professional on staff;
- Able to traverse the 2700+ acre Duke Farm’s property as well as travel to other locations;
- Willing to work indoors and outdoors under various weather conditions;
- Able to work outside of traditional business hours, including weekends, evenings and occasional holidays.
HOW TO APPLY for the SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE ASSISTANT POSITION
Send resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your last name followed by “Seasonal Sustainable Agriculture Assistant” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until February 28, 2018.
No phone calls or in-person applications, please.
It is the policy of the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation to afford equal employment opportunity to all individuals, and we firmly adhere to the equal employment opportunity requirements of all States and localities in which we operate.
To learn more about farming jobs and internships or to post an opportunity on beginningfarmers.org, go to: http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/