1. Assist with farm-based education classes for both school children and adults
2. Supervise large groups of volunteers, as needed, and ensure volunteers complete sign-in forms
3. Provide basic care, feeding, tending and harvesting of a large-scale vegetable garden
4. Ensure properties are in pristine condition and be proactive in maintaining grounds by weeding, pruning, mowing and picking up trash/debris, etc.
5. Direct interns and volunteers during Farm Stand hours
6. Table and sell produce at community events or markets
7. Ensure community gardeners comply with garden rules and maintain plots
8. Assist with CSA share management
9. Assist with donation of produce to area organizations
10. Assist with construction projects, as needed
11. Help with organizational fundraising events and classes
12. Other duties as assigned
1. Dependable, organized, flexible and have a sense of humor
2. Must have interest in food production and organic gardening
3. Must be personable, like working with all kinds of people including children and our diverse community members
4. A strong work ethic and the ability to work independently, with minimal oversight
5. Education background is a plus
6. Spanish speaking is a plus
7. Excellent communication skills
8. Must be able to lift heavy loads (such as soil, compost, rocks, etc.)
9. Basic knowledge of carpentry tools
10. Must be comfortable using a gas operated tools such as lawn mower and weed-whacker
11. Must be able to work as a member of a team
12. Can be flexible due to weather constraints (i.e. heavy rain one day may change the work schedule)
Job schedule and requirements:
This is a paid seasonal based position. We have work available from April through early November. The work is part-time up to 35 hours a week for 33 weeks. During the months of June-October, the Assistant Farmer must be willing to work on Saturdays each week.
Some office work will be required, and work can sometimes be off-site, at our partner organizations or in school classrooms. This role must have its own transportation and be able to work odd hours (some weekends and evenings required).
As the Urban Farm is located on school district property and this role will be working with district children, the applicant must be able to pass a criminal background check, submit to fingerprinting and take a Mantoux skin test.
This position is an outdoor job and requires the ability to work in a variety of weather conditions, including very hot and humid weather. On days where outdoor work is impossible, the assistant may be asked to participate in office-related work or reschedule a workday. The lunch hour is unpaid. There is no housing provided.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume before March 13, 2015 to firstname.lastname@example.org.