Livestock Husbandry Assistant Job in Washington State - 2017
Livestock Husbandry Assistant Job at Nash’s Organic Produce in Washington State
Nash’s Organic Produce is located in Sequim, WA on the Olympic Peninsula. We are a diverse operation currently farming 600 acres consisting of vegetables, berries, orchard, seed crops, grains, hogs, poultry and hay. We attend farmers markets on the Peninsula as well as each Seattle market and sell to a number of wholesale accounts. We also operate a Farm Store where we sell local and organic groceries.
Nash’s is currently hiring a Livestock Husbandry Assistant to work with the Livestock Manager to care for pastured hogs and laying hens raised on Nash’s organic feed. We are in need of more hands as we expand the livestock operation.
- Shares accountability for providing livestock with free-choice food and water
- Keeps feeding stations stocked, maintains supply of ground feed and grinds feed
- Building, removing and maintaining 3-strand electric polywire fencing
- Assists with maintaining herd/flock health and observing livestock behavior
- Assists with weaning, castration, deworming and providing medical care to livestock
- Assists with loading livestock and transporting to USDA slaughterhouse, as well as facilitating on-farm custom processing
- Participates in planning and execution of livestock housing and feeding station improvements, as requested
- After completing training, works independently some days each week so that Livestock Manager can work part-time in greenhouses
- Performs other tasks and duties as assigned. Including but not limited to: collecting eggs, cleaning chicken coops and assisting all coworkers as needed
Livestock Husbandry Assistant Job Qualifications:
- Requires schedule flexibility, including mornings, nights, weekends and holidays
- 1 year experience working with livestock
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently to complete tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to prioritize, take initiative and handle multiple tasks while being held accountable for work within the livestock department
- Ability to receive direction, ask for help/clarity
- Ability to work independently
- Detailed oriented, organized and thorough
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with customers and other staff members in a positive manner
Ability to repetitively lift and move up to 60 lbs. on uneven and sometimes muddy surfaces. Ability to stand, walk, bend, crouch, climb and reach during majority of shift. Ability to safely use and operate tools and equipment such as forklifts, tractors, roto-mill and other equipment.
This is a full time, year-round position, starting at $11/hr. Employees also receive a 15% discount at the Farm Store, can harvest from the fields or take what is left over from farmers markets. Our roughly 35 employees also get together every Friday for Farm Lunch.
To Apply for the Livestock Husbandry Assistant Job:
Visit nashsorganicproduce.com and submit
- Livestock Husbandry Assistant application
- Cover Letter
to Andrea LaPlante, Livestock Manager at email@example.com