McEnroe Organic Farm in Millerton, NY is hiring three organic farming apprentices for the 2017 season. McEnroe is a 1000 acre organic farm in the Hudson River Valley, two hours north of New York City. The farm has a 50 acre vegetable operation, raises cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys and sheep, and has a large organic compost operation. Apprentices specialize in different areas of the farm including organic greenhouse and field production, livestock, and farm-based education.
- Apprenticeships are April - November (start and end dates vary slightly for each positions).
- Compensation is $9.70/hour and shared on farm housing if interested.
- Organic farming apprentices from all areas of the farm will meet once each week to discuss topics of interest. Apprentices will determine meeting topics at the beginning of the season. (Topic examples: soil fertility, integrated pest management, vegetable wholesale).
Livestock apprenticeship- the livestock apprentice will be responsible for animal care: feeding, watering, moving animals and mobile coops, fencing, bedding changes, cleaning stalls, etc. Livestock apprentice will be involved in weekly poultry processing. Also, periodic assistance with other aspects of the farm (veggie production, compost and soil) is required. Full Description Here.
Education Apprentice- the education apprentice will help build our education program and care for the one-acre Discovery Garden. The Apprentice will have a hands-on role in existing educational initiatives, including: Farm tours, programs for visiting school groups, workshops for children and adults, and events for the general public. In addition, the apprentice will help plan, plant, maintain, and harvest our one-acre education Discovery Garden. Full Description Here.
Vegetable Production Apprentice- the vegetable apprentice will work in our NOFA-NY certified organic greenhouse and field operations. Our year-round Farm Market is the main site of produce sales and the Market Kitchen utilizes our own produce for prepared foods and value-added products (pickles, tomato sauces). The apprentice will work both in the fields and in the greenhouses.
- Field responsibilities: transplanting seedlings, weeding, harvesting and washing and packing produce for sales and use in the market as well as for wholesale orders.
- Greenhouse responsibilities: Seed-starting, transplanting nursery starts, grafting and pruning tomato plants, harvesting, pest management, and washing and packing produce. Full Description Here.
To apply: please read the organic farming apprentices position descriptions here: http://www.mcenroeorganicfarm.com/programs/apprenticeships
and email resume, cover letter and list of 3 references to email@example.com
. Apply by December 2 for full consideration! In the subject line please indicate which apprenticeship you are interested in (example: “Livestock apprenticeship”). It is possible to apply for multiple positions, please indicate in your materials which positions you would like to be considered for.
For more information check out our apprenticeship page
. Email Annie with any questions firstname.lastname@example.org